“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable”.
• King Rama 1 (1782-1809) moved his capital across to the east side of the Chaophraya river to what is now the current site of Bangkok in order to avoid being vunerable to any Burmese attack from the west.
• Bangkok has 102 private hospitals with combined bed capacity of 15,000, or 43.3% of the country's total beds.
(Bangkok Post, December 27, 2007)
• There are 106 airports in Thailand.
• The least expensive property in Bangkok in 2007 was in Nong Chok district, at 260 baht per square wah.
(Thailand Treasury Department)
• There are around 10 million credit cards circulating in the Thai economy.
(Economic and Business Forecasting Center of University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce)
• A single jackfruit can weigh up to 35kg.
• Thailand is forecasted to export 8.7 million tonnes of rice this year.
(Rice Exporters Association)
• The distance from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is approximately 695 kms.
• 401 people were killed in road accidents nationwide during the seven-day New Year period December 28, 2007 to January 3, 2008.
• 14% of Thailand’s population is Chinese.
(CIA World Fact Book)