“They wanted facts. Facts! They demanded facts from him, as if facts could explain anything.”
• Thailand’s share of the global electronics and electrical market is currently 3%.
• 375 real estate projects were launched in Thailand in 2007 with 83,828 units worth 208.31 billion baht.
(Agency for Real Estate Affairs)
• Thailand has had 25 prime ministers since 1932.
• Domestic car production in Thailand is expected to increase by 10.85% in 2008 to 1.29 million units.
(Federation of Thai Industries)
• Phuket, Thailand’s largest island, covers 543 square kilometres and is surrounded by 32 islands.
• Thailand is ranked 64th (down from 56th) on the UN 2088 e-Government readiness index. Sweden is ranked 1st.
• HSBC is the oldest commercial bank operating in Thailand. In 1889 King Rama V opened a private bank account.
• Thailand’s largest banks in terms of assets are Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank and Siam Commercial Bank in that order.
• Thailand was ranked 84th out 180 countries for corruption in 2007 with a score of 3.3 out of 10. In previous years it was considered less corrupt placing 59th place in 2005 and 63rd in 2006.
(Transparency International Index)
• Online internet penetration in Thailand was estimated at 10 million users for 2007.
(Bangkok Post, January 23, 2008)